BitMinery Forums

Author Topic: Multiple stations per sector  (Read 1054 times)

ErthParadine

Multiple stations per sector
« on: August 11, 2016, 03:29:49 AM »
Can we get a destroy_entity_dock for our creative accounts?  Will hep us better manage our sectors and keep from loading too many entities in.

Actually - you've just reminded me of something - limit 2 stations per sector maybe - we have bigger sectors now. Would be useful in creative mode (obviously) but also in general play to add additional purpose stations.
Been thinking about this myself for a while. Glad you brought it up. Moving this request to the parent board for further discussion.

Am I mad or should I bother to write that up in the correct place?

Are you mad? In responding to that question, the first image in my mind was that of a mural near my IRL home: http://pablosmurals.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/alternative-1mural.jpg

Dunno what do make of that...
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 03:32:00 AM by ErthParadine »

Sachys

Re: Multiple stations per sector
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 11:47:40 AM »
no vapouriser for me thanks!

anyways, yeah, i can see a want / need for more than one station in a sector for various playstyles.
only thing is, if implemented, would it also apply to trade guild / pirates / derelicts? - and would it be abused in some way (imagine, if you will, multiple instances of one of those vaygr blockade stations surrounding an HB).

So, could it be applied to HB sectors only - or otherwise limited as a trial?

KillaKrazy

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 02:24:16 PM »
I don't think that would be much of an issue. Setting up fleets or stations at someone's home base should be considered griefing and a bannable offense. You can't destroy a home base so all you're doing is causing lag for the sake of it.

ErthParadine

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 02:55:30 PM »
I don't think that would be much of an issue. Setting up fleets or stations at someone's home base should be considered griefing and a bannable offense. You can't destroy a home base so all you're doing is causing lag for the sake of it.

Yea, I'm mostly in agreement here. As HB is more-or-less a player-run "protected sector", except that once undocked you're vulnerable. Existing rules do essentially prohibit this type of behavior already:
  • Repeated unprovoked bullying or targeting of specific individuals or groups, over a period of time, for minimal material gain.
  • Shooting and/or ramming another pilot in protected sectors, so that sounds and visual effects become disruptive, and therefore diminish another pilot's enjoyment of the game.

On the other hand, blockades are a reasonable game mechanic that I see no reason to deny; a HBed player could build turrets to take out an unwanted nearby station. Only exceptions to this would be a really powerful player bullying much newer players...and then again, our rules cover this issue as well.

ErthParadine

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 02:58:13 PM »
no vapouriser for me thanks!

anyways, yeah, i can see a want / need for more than one station in a sector for various playstyles.
only thing is, if implemented, would it also apply to trade guild / pirates / derelicts? - and would it be abused in some way (imagine, if you will, multiple instances of one of those vaygr blockade stations surrounding an HB).

So, could it be applied to HB sectors only - or otherwise limited as a trial?

Setting would be for either all or nothing.

In addition, only the HB'ed station would be protected - so you would in-effect be announcing the location of multiple unprotected stations if you established them next to a homebase.

Sachys

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 03:08:00 PM »
okay then.

so i presume all or nothing includes NPC stations and derelicts as well then?

ErthParadine

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 03:11:05 PM »
okay then.

Yep, an untested theory, but I assume so.

Sachys

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 03:12:33 PM »
okay then.

Yep, an untested theory, but I assume so.

that could be interesting in itself - rat stations and trade stations spawning in the same sector to a state of war.

Captainairspeed

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2016, 06:47:03 PM »
ohhh that be fun too watch also we could do a event were you have a red station v a blue station with players on their respective stations manning turrets and repairing the station LET THE STATION WARS BEGIN probably :P
I'll get around to doing It later right now I'm doing something else

ErthParadine

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2016, 03:18:05 PM »
ohhh that be fun too watch also we could do a event were you have a red station v a blue station with players on their respective stations manning turrets and repairing the station LET THE STATION WARS BEGIN probably :P

Hmm, now that's an idea we could do within existing game mechanics.

Captainairspeed

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2016, 05:25:29 PM »
it would be fun and their would finally be a reason for astronaut combat
I'll get around to doing It later right now I'm doing something else

spocklin

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2016, 10:10:26 PM »
This could be fun!

Nacon

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2016, 04:40:04 AM »
As much I like this idea...  who is going to build the arena?